This module focuses on ‘coaching for performance’ – and will develop the skills needed to understand and develop the capability and capacity in the practice.
Through the introduction of a variety of coaching tools and techniques, this module will develop the core skills of questioning and listening and using powerful questions to support people in achieving their best outcomes. Delegates will gain an understanding of the skills, principles and practice of effective management coaching and mentoring.
Who should attend?
Don’t miss opportunity to work with leading specialists in a series of full day workshops specifically focused on the ‘business’ aspects of General Practice.
- General Practitioners
- Practice Managers
- Senior Practice Nurses
- GP Administrator Managers
- Understanding the purpose of coaching and mentoring within an organisational context
- Understanding the skills, behaviours, attitudes, beliefs and values of an effective coach or mentor
- Understanding the role of contracting and the process to effectively coach or mentor
- Understanding the principles of effective coaching or mentoring in practice and how to evaluate benefit
During the programme we will be practicing coaching one another. It is difficult to ‘role play’ a coaching session and so we would like you to coach one another for real. It is important, therefore, that you come to the web workshop sessions having identified some areas where you would like to receive some coaching/help with thinking things through. Here are some ideas of the type of situation you might identify. You will need to feel comfortable sharing the issue with your coach and an observer – and to facilitate this we contract about confidentiality at the start of the coaching web workshop programme:
- A difficult relationship at work
- A project or a task where you feel stuck
- A career decision you need to make – or an issue about your career which you’d like to explore
- A task you have been dreading
- A piece of difficult feedback you need to give to someone
- Someone who works for you who you haven’t quite fathomed out – or who you have a more challenging relationship with
- Reflecting on why a process/procedure isn’t working very well
- A difficulty or dilemma which you face at home
- Something you feel demotivated about
Recommended Pre-Reading: Coaching for Performance – John Whitmore
The module will be delivered as an interactive session with practical guidance to enable participants to map the techniques and outcomes onto their own practice. Individual work and Group work is provided on all aspects of the programme so that participants develop their understanding by interacting with colleagues from other practices.
Below is an outline of the proposed agenda, if you have any questions please get in touch.
|Welcome and Introduction to the workshop
|What is Coaching?
|The Principles of Coaching and the Coaching Relationship
Practical Session – The Coaching Relationship
Exploring the quality and type of relationships you need to coach effectively
|How people learn
|Coaching skills 1 – Group Work Session
Defining coaching skills:
|Coaching skills 2 – Practical Session –
Mini coaching session using powerful questions.
Open questions and Powerful questions.
|Exploring the core principles in more detail
|Coaching skills 1 – PRO model:
|Coaching skills 2 – GROW model:
|Summary and Q&A|
Contact the PMA now
If you would like more information about any of our workshops, the timings or adapting our programmes to your local needs / requirements, please call 0330 111 6459 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that all workshops are delivered online as web workshop sessions – however, if you require face to face workshops, please get in touch and we will be happy to discuss this.
Join our vibrant community of over 50,000 today and benefit from our services
As a PMA member, you will benefit from regular news and updates on key issues and regulatory changes that affect GP practices. You will gain access to exclusive training and events that ensure you maintain currency of knowledge and skills. You will have the opportunity to meet and network with your peers from around the UK.