Venepuncture (phlebotomy) is one of the most commonly used healthcare investigation procedures.
This web workshop is designed to provide the theoretical knowledge base for the care team who wish to expand their range of practice to include venepuncture.
The information contained in this package has been developed in line with evidence based national policies and procedures. The web workshop is aimed at: Nurses, Health Care Assistants, Allied Health Professionals and candidates undertaking a Health Care Apprenticeship.
Prior to undertaking this training package, the individual must fulﬁll the following criteria:
- Be a suitably experienced member of the care team with their manager’s permission to undertake this training.
- Work in a suitable environment where there is a requirement for venepuncture which will enable the individual to maintain competence.
- Numbers will be limited to 12 due to the highly interactive and practical nature of this training.
Who should attend?
Senior Practice Nurses
GP Administrator Managers
Aims & Objectives
Delegates will correctly identify the client, offer a simple explanation and gain consent to safely take a sample of blood from a vein.
- Identify the veins most commonly used.
- Demonstrate the criteria for choosing equipment the vein to use.
- List some of the potential problems and how to deal with them.
- Demonstrate the correct procedure using a manikin
- Show understanding of how to manage risks during the procedure and the disposal of equipment.
Certificates of attendance are issued at the end of the course.
Below is an outline of the proposed agenda, if you have any questions please get in touch.
|Introduction and Welcome – Overview of the Programme, Objectives & Accountability|
|Open Forum – Identifying your challenges|
|Communication and Safety|
|Infection Prevention, Anatomy, Selection of Equipment|
|Venepuncture Procedure, Practical Session (includes break)|
|Potential Complications and Preventative Measures, Team Working|
|Summary and Q&A|
Contact the PMA now
If you would like more information about any of our workshops, the timings or adapting our programmes to your local needs / requirements, please call 0330 111 6459 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that all workshops are delivered online as web workshop sessions – however, if you require face to face workshops, please get in touch and we will be happy to discuss this.
Join our vibrant community of over 50,000 today and benefit from our services
As a PMA member, you will benefit from regular news and updates on key issues and regulatory changes that affect GP practices. You will gain access to exclusive training and events that ensure you maintain currency of knowledge and skills. You will have the opportunity to meet and network with your peers from around the UK.