This workshop is designed to provide the theoretical knowledge base for the care team who wish to expand their range of practice to include Intramuscular (IM) Injections.
The information contained in this package has been developed in line with evidence-based national policies and procedures. The workshop is aimed at: Nurses, Health Care Assistants, Allied Health Professionals and candidates undertaking a Health Care Apprenticeship.
Prior to undertaking this training package, the individual must fulfill the following criteria:
- Be a suitably experienced member of the care team with their manager’s permission to undertake this training.
- Work in a suitable environment where there is a requirement for IM injections which will enable the individual to maintain competence.
- Numbers will be limited to 12 due to the highly interactive and practical nature of this training.
Who should attend?
Health Care Assistants
Allied Health Professionals
Candidates undertaking a Health Care Apprenticeship
Aims & Objectives
Delegates will fully understand the underpinning theory and will be able to demonstrate they can identify the correct patient, gain consent and safely administer the correct dose of medication via intramuscular injection.
- Identify the relevant anatomy and physiology
- Demonstrate knowledge of the criteria for choosing both the site and needle size to use.
- Discuss the potential problems which may be encountered, how to prevent them and necessary interventions.
- Show understanding of the health and safety/risk management of the procedure, including the correct disposal of equipment.
- Discuss adult safeguarding and demonstrate awareness of anaphylactic reaction.
Below is an outline of the proposed agenda, if you have any questions please get in touch.
|09.15||Registration & Coffee|
|09.30||Introduction and Welcome – Overview of the Programme, Objectives & Accountability|
|09.40||Open Forum – Identifying your challenges|
|09.50||Communication, Safety & Anatomy|
|10.10||Infection Prevention and Control & Selection of Equipment|
|11.05||Intramuscular Injection Procedure|
|12.00||Potential Complications, Preventative measures, Teamworking|
Contact the PMA now
If you would like more information about any of our workshops, the timings or adapting our programmes to your local needs / requirements, please call 0330 111 6459 or email email@example.com
Please note that all workshops are delivered online as web workshop sessions – however, if you require face to face workshops, please get in touch and we will be happy to discuss this.
Join our vibrant community of over 50,000 today and benefit from our services
As a PMA member, you will benefit from regular news and updates on key issues and regulatory changes that affect GP practices. You will gain access to exclusive training and events that ensure you maintain currency of knowledge and skills. You will have the opportunity to meet and network with your peers from around the UK.